Points Calculator

Which age band do you fit into?

Visa Fee Calculator

This is visa fee calculator. Coming soon..

Australian Permanent Visa

Australian Permanent Visa

Permanent Visa in Australia

Your Guide to Australian Permanent Visa Options: Subclass 189, Subclass 190, and Subclass 491

Are you considering making Australia your forever home? If so, you’ll want to explore the permanent visa options available to you. The Australian Department of Home Affairs offers three popular pathways: Subclass 189, Subclass 190, and Subclass 491. Let’s dive into each option and see which one suits you best.


Subclass 189: Skilled Independent Visa

The Subclass 189 visa is perfect for skilled workers who have the qualifications and experience needed in Australia’s labor market. With this visa, you can live and work anywhere in the country permanently. 

To be eligible, you must meet the points-based system’s requirements, which consider factors like age, work experience, education, and language proficiency. No sponsor or nomination is required under this visa category, offering you maximum independence.

Subclass 190: State Nominated Visa

The Subclass 190 visa is ideal if you have a specific Australian state or territory in mind for your settlement. Here, the state or territory government sponsors you based on their labor needs. 

To apply for this visa, you must first receive a nomination from a state or territory government. This means you should possess skills and qualifications in demand within the region you wish to settle in. Once granted, you can live and work in Australia permanently.

Subclass 491: Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa

The Subclass 491 visa aims to address skill shortages in regional areas of Australia. This visa is a provisional one that allows you to live and work in a specific regional area for up to five years. To qualify, you must express your interest in an Australian state or territory and be nominated accordingly.

One of the advantages of this visa is the potential pathway to permanent residency through the Subclass 191 visa. After living for at least three years and working for at least three years in a designated regional area, you may apply for the Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa.


Department of Home Affairs offers a range of Australian permanent visa options, each catering to different situations and aspirations. The Subclass 189, Subclass 190, and Subclass 491 visas provide exciting opportunities for skilled workers to call Australia their home permanently. By understanding the key differences and eligibility requirements for each visa, you can take a step closer to achieving your dream of living permanently in Australia.

Please note that immigration laws and policies are subject to change, and it is essential to refer to the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs for the most up-to-date information.

Visa Conditions

8101  The holder must not engage in work in Australia. 8102  The holder must not engage in work in Australia (other than in relation to the holder’s

Read More »

English Language Tests

IELTS & PTE Score Conversion English Language Tests English Language Tests are administered worldwide, with two of the most widely recognized being the IELTS and

Read More »

Invitation Rounds

Invitation Rounds of Skilled and Sponsored Visas​ * Statistics not verified from Department (includes estimates) 

Read More »

Points Calculator

Points Calculator for Skilled Visa Points Calculator for Skilled Visa Age Age Band (Primary Applicant) 18-2525-3333-4040-45Other age group English Language What is your English language

Read More »

Latest News & Blogs

Last updated: 25 July 2023

Sign up to our updates*

    *By signing up, you agree to the terms, conditions and privacy policy given on this website.

    Although we endeavour to maintain the utmost accuracy and reliability of the information presented on this website, it should be noted that the information contained herein is offered as a mere guide. In the event that such information is deemed incorrect, we shall assume no liability for any resulting harm or damages.

    It should be further noted that the scope and timeliness of the information provided here may be subject to delay or expiration, and thus no assurance as to its continued reliability can be given.